Who Will Follow This Notice?
This notice describes the privacy practices of Gaylord Hospital, Gaylord Farms Rehabilitation Center, related entities and their respective facilities and programs, including its facilities located throughout Connecticut (collectively, “Gaylord”). This Joint Notice applies to Gaylord Inpatient or Outpatient or any other service provided to you in a Gaylord-affiliated program involving the use or disclosure of your protected health information (PHI). The privacy practices described in this Notice will also be followed by:
- Physicians who are members of Gaylord’s medical staff or who practice at its facilities;
- All employees, trainees, students or volunteers at any of Gaylord’s locations;
- Any health care professional who treats you at any of Gaylord’s locations;
Business associates or partners who have access to health information, because of the work they do with us.In addition, these people, entities, sites, and locations may share information as necessary to coordinate your care and for the purposes described in this Notice. While the entities and health professionals listed above engage in many joint activities and provide services in a clinically integrated care setting, many of them constitute separate legal entities.
What Is the Purpose of this Notice?
This Notice of Privacy tells you how we may use and disclose your PHI that deals with your Treatment, Payment or Health Care Operations (TPO), or for other lawful purposes and your rights regarding your medical information. This Notice applies to uses and disclosures that we may make of all your health information whether created or received by us. It extends to information received or created by our employees, staff, and volunteers as well as by doctors and other health care practitioners practicing at the Hospital.
How Will We Share This Notice?
We will post a current notice in prominent locations throughout our facilities, on our website, and offer this Notice to all our patients. You may ask to receive a paper or electronic copy of this Notice. We may be ask you to sign a form stating you were offered this notice. We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice from time to time without notice to you, which will apply to all your health information we then have about you, and information we receive in the future. The new notice will be available upon request, posted throughout our facility and on our website.
What is Protected Health Information, Use, Disclosure and Authorization?
Protected Health Information, or PHI, is information about you that may identify you; relate to your past, present or future health condition; was obtained when you received services at Gaylord; or was received from other providers (doctors, hospitals, etc.). This information is created, stored, and may be transmitted by verbal, electronic and/or written means. Gaylord must often share your information for treatment, payment, healthcare operations and other purposes as described in this Notice. We will strive to do this in a safe, secure and responsible manner.
Use means the sharing, utilization or examination of information by individuals within our practice.
Disclose means to release, transfer, or divulgence of information by us to individuals outside our practice.
Authorization means your written permission as to a particular type of release of your information to you, another person, or an organization.
How we Use and Disclose your Protected Health Information
The following categories describe some of the ways that we may use or disclose your PHI without your prior authorization:
* For treatment purposes by physicians, therapists, nurses and other healthcare team members to treat you. For example, if you receive Inpatient services, we will automatically forward a copy of your report to the physician that referred you to us.
* For payment of your healthcare bills by Billing, Benefits and other support staff to get payment from health plans or other entities. For example, we will access your PHI from the hospital transferring you to us for inpatient services so that we may approve your admission and payment for services by your insurance company; we may supply your insurance company with a complete copy of your medical record from your hospital stay.
You may request that information for a specific service or health care item not be shared with your health insurer for the purpose of payment or our operations if you pay for the service or item out-of pocket in full prior to receiving the treatment or item. We will honor your request unless the law requires us to share that information.
* To support healthcare operations by clinical and support staff to run our hospital, improve your care and contact you when necessary. For example, teaching therapy and/or nursing students; or for quality improvement activities.