Inpatient Pulmonary Care
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Ventilator Weaning Program
Our Approach to Care
Our Pulmonary Program offers a comprehensive range of proven, leading-edge treatments and technologies. Our program provides the individualized care you need to enjoy life as fully as possible. We accept patients with pulmonary disorders from acute care setting, but still require ongoing medical, nursing and respiratory care. Typically inpatients continue on to Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Inpatient admission is not required for Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
Since each patient is different, we use a personalized approach in planning and delivering the exact care you need to successfully manage your condition.
Patients appropriate for this program may:
- Have respiratory complications resulting from neurological disorders including muscular dystrophy and post-polio syndrome
- Be currently on a mechanical ventilator and are a candidate for ventilator weaning
- Have respiratory complications resulting from a spinal cord injury
- Experience shortness of breath that interferes with their daily activities and self-care
- Make frequent ER visits or are hospitalized often with pulmonary problems
- Have received a difficult-to-manage diagnosis from their doctor (e.g. COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, restrictive lung disease, and other conditions)
- Experience respiratory complications from morbid obesity
Our services include:
Gaylord Centers of Excellence
- Ventilator management and weaning
- Tracheostomy care
- Oxygen management (including high flow modalities and pulse oximetry)
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Early Ambulation Program to get you up and walking as soon as possible after admission
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and education (inpatient and outpatient)
- Passy-Muir valve
- Pulmonary function testing (inpatient and outpatient)
- Exercise tolerance studies
- Sleep study
- Gaylord is a Center of Excellence for the Passy-Muir Valve. The Valve is used to help patients speak while still on a ventilator.
- Gaylord is the only Vapotherm Center of Excellence in the U.S. Vapotherm is a new, more effective way of delivering high-flow oxygen therapy.
Inpatient Admissions: (203) 284-2810
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab: (203) 741-3351
Peggy Bartram, Director of the Respiratory Department: (203) 679-3539