Transitional Living Program


The Louis D. Traurig House is the only transitional living center for people with acquired brain injury in Connecticut. Located in Wallingford on the campus of Gaylord Hospital, Traurig House is an 8-bed, co-ed facility.  Typically, residents come to Traurig House after they have completed their inpatient rehabilitation but are not quite ready to go home because of language, physical or cognitive problems.  Traurig House provides the necessary transition to ease the patient from hospital to home.  The average length of stay for residents is 35 days. (Download our Traurig House brochure or Residents Served & Outcomes brochure)

Who is eligible for admission?

Individuals, generally 15 years of age or older, who have experienced an acquired brain injury and have completed any necessary inpatient rehabilitation program will be considered for the program. The following guidelines are used in considering someone for admission. A person should:

  • Be medically stable
  • Have been diagnosed with an acquired brain injury (traumatic brain injury, stroke, aneurysm or other neurological diagnosis)
  • Have the ability to communicate basic needs in some mode (verbally, in writing, gesturing, using a communication device, etc.)
  • Can be using a wheelchair as primary means of mobility or ambulating at time of admission.  Transfers or ambulation status must be at minimal assistance or better
  • Have no current substance abuse. Those with a history of chemical dependency must be involved in education and support programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, which are available at Gaylord Hospital.
  • Not be aggressive towards self, others or personal property
  • Have the financial resources (through health care insurance or personally) to pay for services
  • Be able to benefit from a structured environment to maximize independence, working toward a realistic discharge destination plan
  • Be motivated and able to benefit from group and individual outpatient therapies.  Be appropriate to participate in either the Cognitive or Aphasia Day Program and require continued physical therapy and/or occupational therapy services as an outpatient

Traurig House: Admission Process

Aphasia & Cognitive Day Treatment Programs

Frequently Asked Questions 

How long do people stay at Traurig House?

Typically, 5-7 weeks depending on progress and overall rehab goals.

What time do I have to be up in the morning?

Residents are usually up by 7 a.m. and are scheduled to attend a morning physical therapy fitness group at 8:15 a.m.

What do residents work on?

Participants will work toward:

  • Acquiring the basic skills of independent living
  • Regaining the necessary skills for reentering the community

What services do residents receive?

  • Cognitive retraining
  • Psychotherapy
  • Community activities
  • Communication skills
  • Independent living skills
  • A full range of therapies including psychology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech and language therapy, and recreational therapy
  • Social work and case management

Can family members and friends visit? 

Yes, visitors are welcome whenever the resident is not involved in therapies, but evenings (between 4 p.m.-8:30 p.m.) are suggested as the best time to visit.

Can I watch TV?  Is there a computer with internet?

There are three TVs:  one in the family room and two in the smaller lounges located at each end of the house.  You are welcome to watch TV whenever you have free time.  Traurig House also has a DVD collection of movies.  There also is access to a computer with internet that you may use when you aren't in therapy.  Wireless connectivity is available if you want to bring your own laptop.

Does insurance pay for this?

Discuss your particular insurance coverage with your care coordinator to determine if you are eligible.

Can I see the Traurig House before being discharged from the hospital?

Yes, you and your family are welcome to visit for a tour by calling (203) 741-3488 or (203) 284-2773.

How is Traurig House licensed?

Traurig House is licensed by the State Department of Public Health and Addiction Services.  Funding for the Louis D. Traurig Transitional Living Center is made possible in part through a grant from the Connecticut State Department of Social Services and the State of Connecticut. This publication does not express the views of the Department or the State of Connecticut. The views and opinions expressed are those of the authors.


For Traurig House Admissions or for a tour: (203) 741-3488 or (203) 284-2773

Download our Traurig House Transitional Living brochure (click link)
Download our Traurig House Residents Served & Outcomes brochure (click link)


Gaylord Hospital Gaylord Wellness Center Gaylord Sleep Medicine / Guilford
Gaylord Hospital

Gaylord Farm Road

Wallingford, CT 06492

(203) 284-2800

Gaylord Physical Therapy, Orthopedics
and Sports Medicine

8 Devine Street

North Haven, CT 06473

203-230-9226 / 203-284-2818 Sleep Medicine

Gaylord Specialty Healthcare