Advance Directives


As a patient at Gaylord, you have the right to have a living will that outlines what kind of treatment you would want withheld or withdrawn in the event you become incapacitated and cannot make these decisions on your own. In addition, you can assign someone known as a health care agent to convey your wishes concerning withholding or withdrawal of life support. Please make your wishes known to your attending physician.

Upon admission, a member of the nursing staff will ask if you have a living will or health care agent. If you do, please give the nurse a copy of the appropriate document.

If you do not have an advance directive but would like to make one, please tell your nurse and he or she will notify your care coordinator. The care coordinator can review the forms with you. Your attending physician, psychologist and Gaylord’s chaplain are also available to discuss alternatives with you. We strongly encourage you to discuss your wishes with your family or significant other, primary physician, and priest, rabbi or minister, if appropriate. If you would like to make a living will or assign someone as your health care agent or durable power of attorney for health care, you are responsible for completing the appropriate form and giving a copy to your Gaylord physician.

Your Gaylord physician will use your living will or health care agent if you become incapacitated, and your medical condition is terminal or you are permanently unconscious.

Living Wills, Health Care Agent

National trends in medical practice involve consideration of certain ethical and legal questions, regarding which rights and wishes of patients should clearly be stated.


Gaylord Hospital Gaylord Wellness Center Gaylord Sleep Medicine / Guilford
Gaylord Hospital

Gaylord Farm Road

Wallingford, CT 06492

(203) 284-2800

Gaylord Physical Therapy, Orthopedics
and Sports Medicine

8 Devine Street

North Haven, CT 06473

203-230-9226 / 203-284-2818 Sleep Medicine

Gaylord Specialty Healthcare